Fulfillment ~ "2023, a Year of Goodbyes"

Monday, August 10, 2020

Spirits

It's a cold wet and wintry day.  The sky is bleak and gray.      

I'm done with my chores for the day, making sure the animals are sheltered and isolated from the cold with plenty of food and water.  

It's 24/7 taking care of animals but it's what I chose to do with my life.    

And you soon learn, with farming or ranching that you don't come first, others do. 

When you think about it, isn't that the way things should be?  

As I trudge toward the house, I'm cold and tired.  Its been a long day.  All I want to do now is settle down in my easy chair before a nice warm fire.

Once inside, I remove my winter clothing.  My hands are frigid even after having heavy gloves on.  

Around my ankles my pants are coated with snow crystals that scatter all over the floor as I pull my boots off.   

I hang everything up on an old antique coat rack that's been around for at least 125 years and still as strong as ever. My boots fit on a rack underneath and there's a convenient drip pan I made to catch the water as things thaw out. 

I look out the window at the sun and its now only a pale yellow pinprick on the horizon.  I quietly watch its last golden rays disappear into nothingness.       

The scene makes me feel alone and afraid and saddened but also a bit desperate, like I've just lost an old and dear friend and the only one I could rely on.  

The question I ask myself is, "what do I do now?"

I walk over and stoke the fireplace ashes and am rewarded with a myriad of fiery red embers that quickly shoot upwards, blinking and dancing.     

I have a stack of small kindling and firewood in a corner that I cut up a year ago with more outside, if need be.

"Three logs will just about do for tonight",  I think to myself as I reach down and place the logs on the fire. 

In the cupboard nearby is where I keep my stash.  Several bottles of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay plus several bottles of down home whiskey.  

These items are hard to come by now so best make sure you savor each and every fragrant sip. 

Settling down in my easy chair I watch the fire as it comes to life, the deep warmth slowly meandering out into the room as I pull my favorite blanket over my shoulders.

Whiskey and Wine, my animals all safe for the night, a warm fire, a comfortable chair and my favorite blanket. 

Can't get any better than this,

And to all, a good night,  

    ~ Nightshade  

            





 

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment