Fulfillment ~ "2023, a Year of Goodbyes"

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Citizen Soldier

American Revolutionary War, 1775 - 1783
This is a poem I wrote, many years ago:

I am a Daughter of the Revolution. My blood has stained the ground. In this cherished land my boots have trod. In this cherished land my fears have gnawed- but I've thrown them off with a guffaw. With musket, powder, cloak and dagger, I am unlike polities swagger, for I am honour bound. The trees, my cover, the babbling brook, await the line I bait with hook. For up ahead opposition lies. And I am one and they are five. Covert and silent, I know the drill, as I creep across yon silent hill. I push aside locks grazing brow and grasp my musket more firmly now. My heart is steady as stealthily, I approach the enemy. Blood, sweat and loss is all I've known. For father, mother, children gone. And country on verge of collapse. I cannot bare hear dirge of Taps. What drives me is it courage, duty? Or is it liberty's proclivity? We must accomplish task at hand--restoration of this great land. All else is worthless if freedom lost and unresolved at any cost.  ~  M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment