Fulfillment ~ "2023, a Year of Goodbyes"

Friday, May 16, 2014

"I LOVE YOU", SAM


I have a cat named Sam (short for Samson).  His sister is Delilah.  Sam broke his wrist (don't ask me how a cat can break his wrist) but this is what occurred.  My husband and I tried to figure out how in the world this could have happened.  Finally we decided that it was the BBQ grill he had jumped onto.  There was a gap between the grill and the handle and seeing the other cat almost lose its grip, we finally had our answer.  We covered up the handle and so far there have been no more accidents. Thank goodness!  But now a decision had to be made as to what to do with Sam.  Should I take Sam to the vet (not knowing how much it would cost, not knowing if he broke his wrist or maybe it was just bruised?)  My husband was instrumental in helping with my decision--"If you don't take him in he'll probably not heal well and could die."  I agreed and the decision was made.  I could've decided to let Sam mend on his own or worse, I could've had him put to sleep.  Most of the time there is no one cheering you on, there is no handwriting on the wall, there are no candles in a darkened hallway when you make a decision, you find yourself alone in making the best decision you can.  Eight weeks in a cast and sequestered in an upstairs bathroom Sam and I became the closest of friends.  Understand this was an outdoor cat now being confined to a tiny room--he's used to having the entire outdoors to himself!  I bought cans of cat food and sprinkled powdered calcium on top to help with his healing.  He endured four trips to the vet in which he was medicated, probed, poked, irradiated and evaluated.  Each time the vet removed the cast and looked at the injury.  "No, not yet, she would say."  "Maybe we can take it off in another week".  Finally the end of the next week and Sam and I were at the vet once again.  This time the cast came off, for good.   I know I was relieved and I'm sure Sam was.  I couldn't believe how Sam had held up under all this.  He never lost his temper, he never said an ugly word to anyone, he never scratched or bit anyone, he never balked while undergoing all the treatment.  I think he was grateful for it.  And the most remarkable result of this costly effort (I'm not going to tell you how much his treatment cost but it was substantial) this outdoor cat and I bonded together.  I have never experienced anything like this before.  During the treatment, while I was transporting him to and from the vet and tending to him upstairs I would constantly say, "I love you, Sam."  He would cry nervously from his cat kennel while I was driving.  He would retreat to the back of his cage in the bathroom when I tried to pet him.  When he did allow me to come near I would stroke his fur and repeat these words in the same monotone voice throughout his therapy and healing whether he was able to hear me or not.  I was totally surprised how loving Sam turned out to be.  Funny, I never noticed that before.  But now he and I talk on a regular basis, he meows at me and I know instinctively what he wants--he wants to sit on the couch or in the lounge chair and sometimes, when I'm at my computer, Sam will stand up on his back legs and put his front paws on the computer table, trying to get my attention.  So we sit together and he rolls all over letting me scratch his head, all the while looking up at me and studying my face.  He looks up at with me with loving eyes (yes, animals can show looks of love) and he and I are relishing our new relationship.  Of course there is Callie (a rescued cat from a shelter) and she does have her issues with Sam but we're working on those.  There are those who contend that animals do not have souls--that animals do not show emotion.  That the only good animal is one you are able to kick around.  I beg you to reconsider.  Sam is living proof that with patience and commitment healing can occur.   This is an example of treating something (this can equally apply to human beings) with love and compassion.  This is an example of an unforeseen and beautiful gift that you may receive, in return.  I am very happy for the decision I made.  I saved Sam and in so doing, unwittingly stumbled into a  small opening in the universe that was previously closed to me.  It revealed itself only because of the decision I made and rewarded me for doing so.     

No comments:

Post a Comment